Short term loans of up to £350 are available to students who have experienced a delay in their Maintenance Loan being paid by the Student Loans Company.
To qualify for an emergency loan you must:
- be fully enrolled on a full-time undergraduate programme at QMUL
- be experiencing a delay in your student financing and be able to provide proof if requested
- have exhausted all other avenues of emergency funds, such as asking family for help or using your overdraft facility
- have repaid any previous emergency loan when due
What can an emergency loan be used for?
You may apply for an emergency loan for assistance with:
- food costs
- essential utility bills, such as heating and electricity
- travel to your site of study, including placements
An emergency loan cannot be used for:
- tuition fee costs
- rent (you should speak to your landlord in the first instance to negotiate rent payments. Our Advice and Counselling Service can help you if you need support)
How to apply
To apply for a loan you must:
1. Log in to MySIS, click on Student Enquiry Centre Online, select Log an Enquiry, ask a question, then Log Enquiry and choose Short Term Loans as the category
2. Answer all questions
3. Enter any further details in the message box provided (you must enter some text or you wil be unable to submit)
4. Complete and attach the Bank details form [DOC 37KB]
4. Select 'Send'
A member of our team will contact your QMUL email address within 3 working days.
Payment and repayment
Payment will be made via bank transfer to UK banks only. The payment will be made within 3 working days of your application being approved.
Repayment is expected within 10 days of you receiving your Maintenance Loan from Student Finance. We will send you instructions by email on how to repay, all repayments can be made online.