Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Instructions for submitting a CAS request for continuing students

This page explains how to request a CAS if you need more time in the UK to complete your current course at QMUL. For example, if you are resuming your studies after a period of interruption.

If you need a CAS to for a new course (one that you have just started or will be starting soon), please refer to the instructions sent to you by the QMUL Admissions Office. For general queries about applying for a CAS for a new course at QMUL, please email


Before you can request a CAS as a continuing student, you will need the following:

  • Your current passport
  • Evidence of your current UK immigration permission
  • Evidence of your finances
  • Evidence of your our English language ability

Please see the section "More on evidence" (below) for details of what we will be considering when we assess your evidence.


Please disregard any instructions in the task to pay a fee for a CAS as we do not charge for this.

How to request a CAS

  1. Log into your MySIS account, go to My details, then proceed to Request a new CAS
  2. Complete all the fields correctly as incorrect information may delay your CAS Request to the Home Office
  3. Make sure that you upload all of the required evidence

Please double check all information. Outstanding tuition fees or accommodation payments may also delay your CAS Request Missing documentation or information will also delay your CAS Request.

You must not start this process until you have all the relevant documentation/information. If you do not have all the required documents, your request will be submitted incomplete. You will have to wait for us to cancel your request so that you can start again.

More on evidence

The following explains what we will be considering when we assess your evidence in your application.

Your passport

When you request your CAS, you must upload a photo or scan of the details page from your passport. Please make sure that this is from the passport you plan to use when you submit your immigration application. Make sure your passport will be valid when you submit your immigration application. If you are applying outside of the UK, make sure that your passport will be valid when you travel to the UK.

Your current UK immigration permission

If you are applying from inside the UK, you must upload photos or scans of the sticker, stamp or card (both sides), which show your current UK immigration permission. If you were previously in the UK, but have left, please provide evidence (e.g., you travel ticket for your flight departing the UK). If you have never been in the UK, you do not need to provide any evidence.

Your finances

Unless you qualify under the differential evidence requirement, you will need to upload evidence (e.g., a bank statement) to show that you have the necessary financial resources to support yourself.

The exception to this is if you have had a UK visa for 12 months or more and you will be applying in the UK.

We will generally ask to see that you have:

  • The money to pay your tuition fees for the academic year.
  • The money you will need for your living expenses for the next nine months or to the expected end of your studies (whichever is sooner).

The UK Government currently expects students to need £1,334 per month for living expenses. A student who has nine or more months of their course remaining will need to show us that they have £12,006 plus money to pay any outstanding tuition fees for the academic year.

If you are using a bank statement, this should be in your name or the name(s) of your parent(s) and should show that you have held the funds for at least 28 days. The documents showing your funds should not be more than one month old.

Even if you qualify under the differential evidence requirement, you must still have the specified funds available to you. The Entry Clearance Officer or Caseworker who considers your immigration application can contact you and ask you to provide your evidence. A Border Force Officer may also ask you to show your evidence when you arrive in the UK and you should carry it with you in your hand luggage.

Your English language ability

If you have completed a year of studies, we will confirm that you meet the English language requirements based on our assessment of your progress to date. You do not need to upload any evidence of this.

If you have not completed a year of your course (e.g., if you interrupted before the end of the first academic year of your course), you will need to upload evidence of your English language ability. If you used a language test such as an IELTS, check that it has not expired.


The consideration of your request is subject to the following conditions.

You are responsible for the success of your application

This page lists our requirements for issuing you with a CAS. However, by issuing you with a CAS, we make no guarantee that any application you make will be successful. You must follow the guidance provided by the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service to ensure that your application meets the requirements and is likely to succeed.

We reserve the right not to issue you with a CAS

The following is a non-exhaustive list of circumstances where we may decide not to issue you with a CAS:

  • If you are not required to be in the UK (e.g., if you are re-sitting out of attendance and not required to undertake a re-sit or submit work in one of the university's assessment periods).
  • If we have previously issued you with a CAS and you have had an avoidable refusal (e.g., if you did not follow the guidance provided by the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service).
  • If you made false statements or used forged documents as part of your application to QMUL or in a previous immigration application.
  • If we do not believe that you will be able to complete your course successfully (e.g., if you have not satisfied a requirement under the fitness to study policy).
  • If you do not genuinely have the funds needed to support yourself in the UK. This condition applies irrespective of whether you would meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules for the UK Government to grant you a visa.

Processing times

We aim to process your CAS request within ten working days, however during peak periods such as enrolment and examinations, process times may increase.

Our normal working days are Monday to Friday. However, we are closed on Bank Holidays and additional closure days over the Christmas vacation.

Upcoming Bank Holidays

  • Friday 29th March 2023
  • Monday 1st April 2023
  • Monday 6th May 2024 
  • Monday 27th May 2023
  • Monday 26th August 2023

Deadlines for students undertaking re-sits

If you are applying for a CAS to undertake a re-sit or first sit of a test or other assessment, we will usually need to contact your school or institute for confirmation of the assessments you are undertaking to determine if we can issue you with a CAS. Due to this additional complexity, you must submit your CAS request at least 15 working days before the start of the assessment period.

 Deadline to submit CAS request

 Assessment Period


2 January - 19 January 2024

01 December 2023

02 May - 31 May 2024

04 April 2024

05 August - 16 August 2024

15 July 2024

06 January - 21 January 2025

02 December 2024*

*Please note that during the month of December, Queen Mary will have a closure period. Therefore, the deadline for the January assessment period may be earlier than expected to account for this. Please meet our deadlines to ensure that we have enough time to process your request.

We cannot guarantee to issue any CASs submitted later than the deadline specified above.

 For further information, see Re-sitting.

Where to get more information

If you have further questions about requesting a CAS, please contact us at

If you have questions about how to submit an immigration application and the requirements, please read the guidance provided by the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service. If you have a question, which is not answered in QMUL Advice and Counselling Service guidance, you can contact them for advice.

Return to top