Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Voter Registration

All adults aged 18 and over are entitled to register to vote in all elections in England. We recommend this is something you should do during your time at University. European Union citizens are entitled to register to vote in local and European elections. 

Why should I register?

You need to register to be able to vote. If you are not registered to vote, you will not have the chance to have a say on who represents you.

As a student, you can register at both your term time address and at the address you live at outside of term time.

About voter registration

You need to register in order to be able to vote in elections and referendums. The way you register to vote changed in 2014 so that now everyone is responsible for registering themselves, before it was the responsibility of the head of household.

The new system means that you can now register online. You will need to provide a few details to register – including your National Insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

How do I register?

Registering to vote is quick, easy and secure. Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You’ll also need your National Insurance number, which can be found on your National Insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.  Once complete you will receive confirmation from your local electoral registration office to say you are registered. 

How do I find my National Insurance Number?

You should have been sent your National Insurance number automatically just before you turned 16.

There will be lots of documents with your National Insurance number on them – have a look to see if you have any payslips, P60 or letters about tax or benefits.

If you’re still not sure, go to the dedicated governmental webpage or call 0300 200 3500.

How do I check if I am already registered to vote?

If you are unsure whether you are registered under the new system, contact your local electoral registration staff.  You can find the contact details for your local authority here by simply entering your postcode. 

What is the University doing to help with voter registration?

If you are in university halls, Queen Mary will pass your details on to Tower Hamlets borough council in your first Semester and they will start the voter registration process on your behalf. 


Return to top