Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Changing your Programme

Who should complete the change of programme form?

This form is for the use of both undergraduate and taught postgraduate students who wish to transfer from their current programme of study onto an alternative programme within Queen Mary University of London.  This may be taught within the same School/Institute as the original programme of study, or it may be offered by a different School/Institute.

What do students need to consider when changing programmes? 

Students must be aware that there is no guarantee of transfer. Consideration will be made subject to the individual entry requirements, programme specifications and past academic performance. 

New students entering Queen Mary who request to transfer within the first few weeks of the academic year must meet the entry requirements for the proposed new programme of study.  The request may need to be turned down if this is not the case.

Students who request to transfer to a degree programme in a different School/Institute after the second week of teaching in the Autumn Term will not normally be allowed to do so within the same academic year as they will have missed too much teaching to be able to catch up.

While a case is being considered, it is important that students continue to attend classes, submit coursework and attend examinations for their initial programme until notified by the Registry of the outcome of their request. The only exception to this rule is where a student has also chosen to interrupt their studies.

Students who intend to cease attendance on the original programme of study and to start the new programme at the beginning of the next academic year must complete an interruption of studies form.  If this is not received it will be assumed that the student wishes to complete the academic year on the original programme of study and those marks will stand.

Where can you seek further advice about changing programmes?

Your School/Institute will be able to discuss your circumstances and whether you meet the requirements for the proposed new programme.  If you are transferring between Schools/Institutes authorisation needs to be sought for you to withdraw from your current programme and separate authorisation must be obtained to enable you to join your proposed programme.

What are the financial and visa implications of changing programmes?

Check how changing programme might affect your current and future funding entitlement, and your tuition fee liability.  If you are an international student, check whether it will affect your visa.  Not all situations are the same, so our detailed online webpages explain how you will be affected, depending on your personal circumstances.

If, having read this guidance, you need more advice, please contact the Advice and Counselling Service for confidential one to one advice.

Change of Programme Form [DOC 372KB]

This will need to be signed by your department and the department you are transferring to, to find contact details please see our student support contacts page.


Return to top