QMUL’s quality framework is informed by:
- The 2030 Strategy
- The Queen Mary Graduate Attributes Framework
- Key external reference points provided by the OfS and QAA in the UK Quality Code for Higher Education.
QMUL's quality framework comprises:
- Education Manual [PDF 1,388KB]
- Programme/module development - including programme approval, amendment and withdrawal and module approval, amendment and withdrawal
- Programme specifications
- Collaborative provision
- Programme and assessment regulations
- The Queen Mary Academic Credit Framework [PDF 205KB]
- External examiners and examination boards
- Student feedback and student induction
- Annual Programme Review
- Periodic Review
- External reviews by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education and by Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies.
Staff are advised to consult the individual web pages above for specific advice on each component of the quality framework. These provide the contact details of staff within the Directorate of Governance and Legal Services (DGLS) who can help with any particular questions.
Responsibility for quality and standards at Queen Mary
Senate is the custodian of quality and standards at Queen Mary, and its work is informed by reports from the Principal and Vice-Principals and the Chairs of its Boards. Monitoring and review processes also report directly to Senate, which has oversight of these key quality assurance mechanisms.
The Queen Mary academic governance structure places responsibility for quality and standards on individuals rather than committees. The Vice-Principal (Education) has responsibility for quality and standards, and specifically for undergraduate and postgraduate taught provision. The Vice-Principal (Research) has responsibility for quality and standards in research, and specifically for research degree programmes. The Vice-Principals are supported by advisory groups with representation from all faculties, the Students’ Union and relevant Professional Services departments, and make regular reports to Senate. Faculty Vice-Principals and Executive Deans, Deans for Education and Deans for Research and School/Institute leads for teaching and research have responsibility for quality and standards at Faculty/School/Institute level.
The Directorate of Governance and Legal Services (DGLS) advises the Vice-Principals on the effectiveness of Queen Mary’s policies and procedures for the management of academic standards and for quality assurance. DGLS monitors and reviews the operation of these policies and procedures within Schools and Institutes with the aim of ensuring a set of consistent approaches across Queen Mary. DGLS staff are able to provide advice on all aspects of quality and standards. Colleagues in Schools/Institutes are encouraged to contact DGLS staff with any queries that they may have.