Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Interrupting your Studies

Permission to interrupt from your studies on the grounds of illness or another good cause may be granted by your academic school or institute. You may only interrupt for a maximum of two years in total; longer interruptions will be granted only in highly exceptional circumstances with the express permission of the Academic Registrar. 

Interrupting your studies means that, although you remain registered as a student, you cease to be an enrolled student of Queen Mary University of London; this has consequences for your student status, funding and right to remain in the UK (if you are an international student):

  • You will not be entitled to attend lectures.
  • In most circumstances, you will not be allowed to live in university halls of residence during your interruption.
  • If you have a Student Oyster Card, we will notify Transport for London, who may revoke your card.
  • If you have Tier 4 or Student Visa, we will notify the Home Office that you have interrupted your studies. The Home Office may then cut short or cancel your immigration permission. Read the QMUL Advice and Counselling Service's guidance on Immigration Reporting and Curtailment. If you have a Tier 4 or Student Visa, you cannot interrupt your studies to undertake a work placement or internship.

If you do interrupt your studies the Academic Regulations in place at the time of your initial registration remain in effect. You are advised to contact your tutor and read the relevant Advice and Counselling Service webpages before interrupting. You can view the Queen Mary University Interruption of Study Policy [PDF 81KB].

The deadline to submit the interruption form

Please be aware that most programmes will now have two assessment periods – one in January following Semester A teaching and one in May following Semester B teaching.  The deadline for submission of the interruption form for most programmes is the day before the start of these assessment periods. 


If you choose to interrupt from your degree programme before the January deadline, and you have completed the teaching for your first semester modules, you can chose to sit those examinations whilst you have interrupted.  Please note that the Academic Regulations state that you must elect to either attempt all of the assessments for the modules you have completed the teaching for or attempt none of them.  You may also choose to first sit or re-sit examinations from previous academic years in January and May.  If you are uncertain of your options please discuss them with your academic department.  Students who interrupt before the May deadline may also choose to first sit or re-sit examinations from the previous academic year in May.

Tuition fee liability

Until you have formally interrupted from your studies you will officially remain a student of Queen Mary and you will be responsible for payment of part of or the full year's tuition fee and where appropriate, residence fees. As funding regulations change frequently it is important that you understand how your decision might affect your entitlements in the future. If you have any concerns regarding this, the Advice and Counselling Service have some useful webpages to help you and their Welfare Advisors can provide you with up to date advice on your eligibility for student finance.

Interruption Form 2019 [DOC 390KB]

Please note, if you are resitting out of attendance you cannot interrupt your studies, as you are not enrolled.

This will need to be signed by your department, to find contact details please see our student support contacts page.


Return to top