Queen Mary offers a range of studentships for research degree students in all Schools/Institutes. You can search for studentships offered by Queen Mary before applying online. Schools/Institutes are responsible for selecting or nominating students for awards. Please contact your prospective School/Institute if you have any questions about the studentship selection process.
If you receive a formal offer of an award, you will be sent a Studentship Acceptance Form. Please sign to confirm your acceptance of the terms and conditions of the offer and return the form to the Research Degrees Office by the date specified in the offer letter. If no form is received the Research Degrees Office will assume the offer has been declined.
Payments can be authorised only when a student has enrolled with Queen Mary. Students in receipt of studentships are strongly advised to enrol as early as possible during the main enrolment period at the beginning of the academic year. Students who have enrolled and provided bank details will be paid by BACS.
Research student stipends are paid quarterly in advance. Continuing students will be paid on 1st October, provided they have re-enrolled via MySIS. Subsequent payments will be made on 1st January, 1st April and 1st July. Continuation of awards is dependent on satisfactory academic progress, as assessed by School and College monitoring processes outlined in School handbooks, the Academic Regulations and the Code of Practice. Please note that studentships are usually suspended when students interrupt their studies: for information about the financial implications of interrupting your studies, please see our advice about interruption or contact the Research Degrees Officer for your school.
Changes to studentship details (such as budget codes, stipend levels, additional one-off payments) should be made using a CoD - Change studentship details form [XLS 737KB]. This form must also be completed for all funded students who have a change of circumstances, such as interruption of study, change to full or part-time, withdrawal, and de-registration.
To provide information about bank details only or changes to bank details please complete the PGR Bank Details Form [XLS 101KB].
Please see the CoD/SAF Approver PDF stamp guideline [PDF 777KB] for how to approve SAFs and CoDs.
- Some students receive a different stipend amount according to the Research Council, or type of funding scheme.
- Some students may be paid for one or two months because their stipend will finish during the payment period.
- Some students may have been overpaid previously (for example, due to interrupting studies in a previous quarter) and the overpayment is being recovered through a reduced stipend.
- Some students are also funded by external business and industry partners and these may receive an additional payment of varying amounts.
- Charities and external funders pay students different amounts according to the terms of their studentships, which can be more or less than the Queen Mary and UK Research Council rate.
Stipend payment dates 2022/23
Quarter 3 payment covering 1 April to 30 June 2023.
Payments will be made by Thursday 23 March 2023.
Quarter 4 payment covering 1 July to 30 September 2023.
Payments will be made by Tuesday 27 June 2022.
Updates to payment dates will be posted here.
If you have any queries please contact the Research Degrees Officer for your School/Institute here: Research Degrees Office contacts