Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat


The Doctoral Queen Mary offers a range of studentships for research degree students in all Schools. You can search for studentships offered by Queen Mary, University of London before applying online. Schools are responsible for selecting or nominating students for awards. Please contact your prospective School if you have any questions about the studentship selection process.

If you receive a formal offer of an award, you will be sent a Studentship Acceptance Form. Please sign to confirm your acceptance of the terms and conditions of the offer and return the form to the Research Degrees Office by the date specified in the offer letter. If no form is received the Research Degrees Office will assume the offer has been declined.

You will also be sent a Studentship Appointment Form, which you should use to provide Queen Mary with your bank details.

Payments can be authorised only when a student has enrolled with Queen Mary. Students in receipt of studentships are strongly advised to enrol as early as possible during the main enrolment period at the beginning of the academic year. Students who have enrolled and provided bank details will be paid by BACS. Students who have not provided bank details will be paid by cheque.

Continuing students will be paid on 1st October, provided they have re-enrolled via MySIS. Subsequent payments will be made on 1st January, 1st April and 1st July. Continuation of awards is dependent on satisfactory academic progress, as assessed by School and College monitoring processes outlined in School handbooks, the Academic Regulations and the Code of Practice. Please note that studentships are usually suspended when students interrupt their studies: for information about the financial implications of interrupting your studies, please see our advice about interruption or contact the Research Degrees Officer for your school.

Changes to studentship details (such as budget codes, stipend levels, new bank details, additional one-off payments) should be made using a Studentship Change of Details Form, Forms page for research students. This form must also be completed for all funded students who have a change of circumstances, such as interruption of study, change to full or part-time, withdrawal, and de-registration.

To provide information about bank details only or changes to bank details please complete the Change of Details Form found here: Forms page for research students

Return to top