Skip to main content

Academic Registry and Council Secretariat

Information for Research Degree Students

Opening hours
Monday (not Tuesdays) - Friday: 10am-4pm
Tuesdays: 11am-4pm

This page contains essential information on our services and research degree procedures for research degree students. You should read the forms in conjunction with the Academic Regulations 2023/24 and the PGR Code of Practice 2022-23 [PDF 402KB]. The requirements for research degrees (MPhil, PhD, MD(Res) and DClinDent) are set out in Appendix 1 of the Academic Regulations. 

All students studying for research degrees are automatically enrolled in the Doctoral College. Please refer to the webpages of the Doctoral College to learn more about the support offered to research degree students by the Researcher Development Team, Careers & EnterpriseLibrary and Students' Union.
You can also find out more about funding opportunities.

Continuing students must re-enrol at the beginning of each new academic year. If you have submitted your thesis and/or are making your corrections you are still a student and must be fully enrolled so that we can award you.

Visit the Research Degrees Office or contact a member of staff

Applying for Research Degrees 


Request a letter to confirm your student status

Request a replacement ID card (online payment)

Seek ethical approval for your research (for all research involving human participants)

Transfer from MPhil to PhD/MD(Res) (for students who registered before 1st September 2010 only)

Progression (for students who registered after 1st September 2010 only)

Transfer between full-time and part-time status

Request permission to interrupt your studies

Request permission to transfer to writing up status


For Students with Student Immigration Permission (formerly Tier 4): request a CAS to extend your student visa using MySIS (log-in required)

Nomination of examiners and examination entry

Thesis submission and the viva 

After the viva: award and graduation

Withdraw from Queen Mary

Return to top